2015-09-02

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1560 - Bubblegum

 I came here to chew bubblegum and say no more than eighteen words... and I'm all out of

It's really convenient how explainxkcd gathered a little collection of previous parodies of the "kick bubblegum and eat ass" line to compare this comic to. As of time of writing, all the examples listed are one line, just like the line they're parodying. Even when XKCD last parodied it (it's in #1110 so I can't link directly to it), Randy only added a one-word response from another speaker.

With this, the (already lame) joke is stretched out by a beat panel and a line that doesn't work.

The idea that the two parts of the line are related is kinda clever. It'd have been funny to see Duke Nukem say "I'm here to kick ass and chew bubblegum." and then blow a bubble which kills someone. Unfortunately, the two parts of the parodied line are combined instead, as if we're parodying the parody.

I guess we could say that XKCD tried to have They Live / Duke Nukem parodied, but it just ended up parodead!

Also, I don't know if I'm just jaded, but the "make friends" thing strikes me as very Children's Movie. I understand Beret is sometimes supposed to be the 'naive and childlike' archetype, but there's not being angsty and there's The Lorax Movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment