2015-06-23

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1541 - Voice

Anyway, we should totally go watch a video story or put some food in our normal mouths!

He totally got the idea for this (perhaps subconsciously, but still) from the first Animorphs book, where Tom, being controlled by a Yeerk, asks Jake to come to The Sharing and Tom manages to make his face all scared for a second to try and get Jake not to go. Man, The Animorphs was awesome. I should read through it again sometime.

I don't find this funny. I think it's like, interesting, but it doesn't really feel like a joke to me. It's more like Randy's just presenting an idea than using that idea to make a joke. What's the punchline supposed to be? Or, failing that, what's the climax?

If I was XKCD's editor, I might have added in a second bit where we zoom in on Ponytail's head. We'd find out that an alien isn't possessing Ponytail, it's Ponytail that's keeping an alien trapped in her head! Dun-dun-duuun! Which, as it turns out, was also done in Animorphs, by the [SPOILER], so I guess we all lose at the originality game today.


If it seems like that review ended abruptly, it's because I couldn't think of anything else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment