2015-05-10

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1522 - Astronomy

Astrobiology is held back by the fact that we're all too nervous to try to balance on the ladder while holding an expensive microscope.

I wondered why the number "1522" seemed especially familiar for about a minute before realizing that's the channel I record reruns of The Simpsons from.

Y'know, that's actually a nice night sky, even if it is reused from panel to panel. If I was still an XKCD fan, I could totally see myself using this as a desktop wallpaper or something. However, art points are also deducted for that weird integration of 2D and 3D in one panel that we've seen previously in #1441. The ladder even starts off as flat before gaining depth in panel three, a la the perspective in #940.

My thoughts on this comic include a succession of "at least it's not..."s. At least it's not #811, where most people couldn't even tell what the joke was supposed to be. At least it's not another "Beret is powerful, possibly evil" comic. It's still not well-executed though. We can see the magnifying glass as soon as Beret walks onscreen, spoiling the surprise.

I also feel like Telescope Girl (the new superhero coming to a Marvel near you) should react in some way to Beret's arrival, even if only by saying "Glad you could make it" or whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment