2015-04-06

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1508 - Operating Systems

One of the survivors, poking around in the ruins with the point of a spear, uncovers a singed photo of Richard Stallman. They stare in silence. "This," one of them finally says, "This is a man who BELIEVED in something."

This is a joke that I do not know enough about computers to understand. I just saw something called "Blood Drone" and I have to admit that attracted most of my attention.

You can only imagine my disappointment when I checked my dutiful and loyal sidekick, explainxkcd, and found that it was a development hell joke. Haven't we used all of them up by now, what with the finally released Chinese Democracy, Duke Nukem Forever, My Bloody Valentine's third full length album, and The Avalanches' second- oh wait

This is just a very easy joke to make, and it can be made in a lot of different ways and about a lot of different subjects, so I find it hard to comprehend why Randy decided to present it this way. Why not do it on a more popularly known subject, or ramp up the scale a lot. I vaguely remember getting pleasantly caught by surprise by a lesson on how the universe will progress before heat death happens.* At the end it added on "[X] is finally released". That didn't feel copied because it improved so much on the concept, like a cover that blows away the original song.

Ah, memories of better jokes. Good times. Goooooooooooooood tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiimes.


*There's a wikipedia page for "timeline of the far future" which includes such things. Don't read it. It gets depressing fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment