2015-04-05

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1507 - Metaball


At first I was all set to call this a ripoff of Calvinball, but it's actually more like the opposite: instead of no rules there's all the rules of every 'ball' game.

It's been a little while since we've had a comic that I just don't understand what the joke is supposed to be. We've had our "I don't know enough about the subject to understand the joke"s, but here I just don't get where the punchline is.

Like, I see that it's supposed to be somewhere in the last two panels, when the sports that aren't soccer show up, but I couldn't pin it down more than that. I think the last panel might be what's throwing me off. If it just ended at three panels then I can see the joke being the sudden switch into a different sport, or something where the soccer ball was accidentally kicked out of a soccer game and into a basketball game, etc. As is, the ending seems almost like a retcon, suddenly the switch was intentional and boring, as opposed to the fun improvised nature of the aforementioned Calvinball.

No comments:

Post a Comment