2015-02-03

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1481 - API

 ACCESS LIMITS: Clients may maintain connections to the server for no more than 86,400 seconds per day. If you need additional time, you may contact IERS to file a request for up to one additional second.

I don't find this funny because I don't know enough about computers to understand all the concepts on display. HOWEVER

I understand the principles of comedy that are being used here. The joke is that the in-comic text is just a really fancily-written description for how a website works, like "visual data will be transmitted to your brain" means "you'll see something". The humor comes from rereading the first statement and realizing that it communicates the same thing as the second. I pretty much get the "Guide" section, but I'm just totally confused by the "Keys" half, which ruins the joke for me. The alt-text does a much better job at being accessible, even including a topical reference to the leap second thing.

I am not saying this comic sucks because I don't know things. I'm saying this is why I personally don't get it and don't think it's funny. BUT, I also think that XKCD should stick to one thing or another, either upscale computer jokes targeted at a specific demographic, or a largely more down-to-earth style with some computer jokes in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment