2015-01-14

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1473 - LOCATION SHARING


Wait, people allow websites to know their location? I've done that like, once, when I'd forgotten my zip code and needed to check (it's 42069, by the way).

Now, I do get what XKCD is going for here. I get that it's a play on how you can't know both the location and momentum of a particle. The issue for me, and apparently also for some XKCD fans, is that when Phone denies permission to the website, it is established that she could have allowed it, which would allow the website to know both.

Are we to assume that the only reason the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is in effect is that all the atoms have little cell phones with glowing "deny" buttons? It just seems like this joke wasn't thought out properly, like Randy came up with the idea and then didn't bother to fine tune it.

No comments:

Post a Comment