2015-01-12

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1472 - GEOGRAPHY


This joke looks really familiar, but that might just be because it's meant to look just like something most people have seen a dozen times over. I'm definitely not going to be able to criticize this one for being too obscure.

Randy has, however, forgotten to include either "plateau" or "archipelago", the former of which was on every example geographical features map I ever saw, and the latter of which was my favorite because I could say "ark-ichy-pela-le-lela-go" and everyone would laugh.

I might be reaching here, but I think the main issue with this comic is that he included a volcano. It's a dark shade of brown with a splash of red, the eye is drawn to it quickly, if not first. And I think for most people outside Hawaii, living near Volcanos isn't really disirable. The comic just seems incorrect.

I was going to ask my Hawaiian friend about this but she's not online at the time of writing.

If we took out the Volcano, I guess the joke would be fine. It definitely wouldn't be anything exceptional, but it'd be the sort of thing that I'd grudgingly let slide.

Maybe if he added a second picture of a guy looking out the window at all the different scenery, that would flesh it out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment