2014-07-25

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1399 - CHAOS


When I was in fifth grade, my teacher had us all answer a question on the back of a worksheet. We all handed them in, and the next day she'd put them in an order. She brought in her assistant to react to the answers.

Holding up a sheet she read out: "For women." She turned to her helper and asked if she knew what the question was.
"No." her helper answered, shrugging.
Moving on to the next paper, she read out again: "So women could do stuff."
She took a quick glance around the classrom.
"So women were happy. So women were equal. So women had rights."
After she'd gotten through about half the pile, she got to the students that had actually answered the question, like "Women were given the right to vote so that women could be equal to men.". Eventually she reached Britney, who'd written a full paragraph.
"See how using full sentences gives context to the reader?" she asked, taking pointed looks at me and the other people that hadn't passed the little test.

I'm not asking Randy to preface this comic with "THIS IS A JOKE ABOUT JURASSIC PARK.", I'm just saying that as this comic stands, I thought it was just a mad scientist angry that no dinosaurs had escaped the meteor.

To be honest, I'm not sure how he would have given context to this joke. Maybe he could have added another character for him to complain to, or used a more famous quote to open things.

I'm going to close with a question to any of my regular readers: Do I seem like I'm talking down to you? I saw a comment on xkcd-sucks that said:
"Jon, please don't stop writing. You're so much better than "xkcd isn't funny" - that guy seems to write like he thinks he's smart, and it's too much like reading xkcd. The whole needing to login to post comments thing is just nuts on the turd."

I am always looking to improve my content, so just tell me anything I'm doing wrong. I don't think I can undo the needing to login, though. I checked that out, it looks like we're stuck with it in a post-Google+ world.

No comments:

Post a Comment