2014-07-04

XKCD - #1389 - SURFACE AREA

 
Alt-text: "This isn't an informational illustration; this is a thing I think we should do. First we'll need a gigantic spool of thread. Next, we'll need some kind of ... hmm, time to head to Seattle.

It's always a bit weird for me when XKCD does an informational post, since my blog name becomes rather redundant. I almost skipped this over completely until I read the alt-text. It is actually pretty funny.

I really don't see why Randy couldn't have just put a single panel with a stick figure saying the alt-text, it would have made an informational post that was also pretty clever. Then again, since when has Randy ever used the "background information as setup" method.

Three thoughts on the map without considering the humor:
1. Why are all the surface areas shaped weirdly? Wouldn't it have been more informational to put them in cubes for size comparison?
2. Why isn't there a scale? Wouldn't that make the post actually educational instead of just mildly interesting?
3. Why are the landmasses from Earth colored differently? Shouldn't the water be colored differently instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment