2014-05-27

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1373 - SCREENSHOT

Alt-text: "I'M PLUGGING IN MY PHONE BUT THE BATTERY ON THE SCREEN ISN'T CHARGING!"
 
I'm going to start this review off positively, to counter the negative cloud that's been hovering over the Internet lately:
 
I like the red circle, I think that that, combined with fading out the parts of the post that aren't the battery meter, works really well to convey the joke.
 
(switching back to the negative now)
 
Too bad the joke is SHIT!
 
To me, this honestly just comes off as the start of a sad confession of a recent diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder, like the "Mom? Dad?" before the "I'm gay.". "Um.., y'know how I always get weird when a phone isn't fully charged? Well..."
 
Unlike "TRAIN", where the joke was clearly "This isn't how things actually work, lookat me, being stupid."*, the joke here is almost certainly "Aren't we all like this fellas?", just begging for someone to type GOOMHR! (no one actually used it, but they said things that were close enough)
 
I actually like the alt-text better than the comic, since in the alt-text, he is actually making a "look at the stupid" type joke.
 
 
 
 
*It was also cute enough to cancel out its slight pretentiousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment