2014-04-07

XKCD Isn't Funny - #1351 - METAMATERIALS


I've been at a vacation resort without internet for the past five days, so forgive the lateness of this post. I'm going to admit I actually chuckled at this one. Sadly, it was because I misread the comic.

When I was reading this, I read it as the standard "Roses are red | Violets are blue" beginning to a poem, so it was funny to me when I read "alter their hue" and had to go back to double check. The joke there would have been on the reader, making them go back and read the words again and notice they read the words wrong. That would have been a very clever play on our expectations if it had been intentional, akin to "Did you know the the human brain doesn't notice when the the word "the" is writen twice?"*

Let's pretend that was the intended joke, in which case the fix is actually quite simple. Take away the color and detail of the first two panels and make the flowers look more alike (still different enough to notice when looking back, though). That way people that pay more attention to the comic would also be fooled.

Also apparently metamaterials don't actually work like that, but honestly who even gives a crap about a four-day old XKCD? (Answer: ME APPARENTLY)


*I tried to find the original post of this, but couldn't find it. I didn't come up with this line, so if anyone can find the link so I can give proper credit, that'd be swell.

No comments:

Post a Comment